The less, the better
When you use the internet you use a computer, tablet or something similar. To do this your computer needs to have an Internet Protocol address (an IP-address). This IP-address is sent with your request to a webserver so that the webserver knows where to deliver the requested webpage.
The problem is that your request (and the result sent by the webserver) pass a lot of webservers which all are able to log this information.
There are two webservers which certainly will be used. The webserver of your Internet Support Provider and the webserver where the requested webpage is hosted.
ZOMDir is hosted at Google
Shield your IP address
Check your IP address
You might use the tool Traceability at a Glance to check the IP address used.
ZOMDir is not interested in your IP-address
Although your IP-address will be logged, ZOMDir is not interested in the used IP-addresses.
ZOMDir will not publish or distribute the logs with IP-addresses. However ZOMDir may release these logs with IP-addresses when this is appropriate to comply with the law.
That is information about your browser, system and IP-address will be mixed and scrambled (better said hashed) to a meaningless number.
If you are in for karma points and participate in (opt-in in) the "karma program" this number will be stored in the database.
Related to this meaningless number some other information will be stored in the database. Besides this number the following information is stored:
- Name: any name is fine;
- Recovery code: an hashed code necessary when your browserprint changes;
- Score and max score: the number of karma points scored;
- The date you reached the max score: currently not used;
- Number of links added: self explaining isn't it;
- Hashed lists of added, updated and removed links: hashed because it is not necessary to know which link you have added, updated or removed however lists like these are necessary to prevent cheating;
- Hashed lists of promoted and demoted links: again hashed and necessary to prevent cheating;
- The date you joined the "karma program": not used at this moment, but recorded because it is once in a lifetime that it could be recorded;
- Your latest action: something like 'add', 'update', 'promote'. It's again used to prevent cheating;
As you can see ZOMDir logs as less information as possible.
Cookies are pieces of information placed on your computer. In general they are used to improve your user experience of a website. That seems great, but they can be used by spyware to track user's browsing activities.
Advertising companies use third-party cookies to track a user across multiple sites. In particular, an advertising company can track a user across all pages where it has placed advertising images or web bugs. Knowledge of the pages visited by a user allows the advertising company to target advertisements to the user's presumed preferences.
ZOMDir.com might have hyperlinks to third-party content, advertising or websites.
Note that ZOMDir.com strives to minimize third-party content and advertising. When third-party content or advertising is used this will be marked explicitly.
Note that at this moment there is no third-party content or advertising used.
Tip: Almost any browser allows you to change your privacy-settings in such a way that cookies are not allowed at all, or are only allowed during the current session. Please check your settings.
ZOMDir will not ask you for personal information.
Some legal stuff
This policy was last modified on december 21, 2020.